Wednesday, 3 February 2010

T'was A Dream

Amidst the hectic schedule that consumes every student this winter, I've managed to negotiate some time for a little pleasurable reading. I've been told that all reading is pleasurable. But, this girl begs to differ. I feel it more befitting to say that all reading serves a purpose, and it is the purpose that could (or not) be pleasurable. What a person read is always useful but may not always be entirely relevant. And relevance is subjective to each reader. So lets leave it at that.


My guilty pleasure for the moment is Lewis Caroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass. Before Alice In Wonderland became a Disney and Hollywood sensation, she was a book of fantastical literary concoction. T'was an ode to daydreaming for the everyday daydreamer.


"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
Of shoes - and ships - and sealing wax -
Of cabbages - and kings -
And why the sea is boiling hot -
And whether pigs have wings."

~Through the Looking Glass (220)

Alice's whims are usually best served after my breakfast and right before Locke's Second Treatise. With Locke's more somber discussions about my right to kill a thief who steals from me in the State of Nature, it's always more amusing to know even Cheshire Cats may find that we're all mad [down] here. 

While my classroom readings make for much food for thought, mixing reading genres make for incredible fun in thought. So what are you reading today? Don't be shy.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...