Monday, 8 November 2010

The Sandwich

        
So I was making a mess of my kitchen this morning when I tried to put together a good ole PB&J sandwich for breakfast in under a minute before scooting off to class tardy. Kind of like how I'd rush my brother's sandwiches back home because he always gets hungry at the wrong part of good television (or bad television; it doesn't even matter because an interruption is STILL an interruption). I usually slop on plenty of the good stuff in his sandwiches because there is really no time to spread them proper. Here's the little troll: he loves himself a good sandwich any day, at any time.


In the 1940s, World War II GIs combined bread, peanut butter, and jelly from their meal-kit rations to make a sandwich now popularly known as PB&J. Soldiers continued making this sandwich even after they returned home from the war. It is almost certain that these WWII GIs invented PB&J (there is no other mention of PB&J before the 1940s). Bless them. I thought it would be fitting to share some lesser known contributions of soldiers as we approach Remembrance/Veteran's day. I hope, at the very least, you all had a bearable Monday. Adieu!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...