Thursday, 17 March 2011

The Classics

    
I love music & I listen to all sorts of music too. 

I don't know if anybody cares to know, but I'm taking a music course this term which gloriously fills 3 hours of my otherwise unfulfilling life each week with music theory, music history, and music appreciation. The course repertoire consists of a hardcore mix of opera, gregorian chants, classical music,  chorale music etcetera. Sounds off-putting (and very uncool), I know. But, to be honest, I'm feeling very sophisticated these past months. I walk around campus all pompous & stick-up-my-ass-worthy with opera music whispering sweet nothings in my ears.


Jokes aside, I've truly come to appreciate the evolution of music. Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, and many others wrote such incredible, powerful music. I get real, unadulterated shivers listening to them. My favourite opera piece to listen to right now is Là ci darem la mano from Mozart's Don Giovanni. Fact: all operas of the 17th & 18th Century were written in Italian. Can you imagine writing artistically in a foreign tongue? These composers are truly genius.


The story here is the casanova italian aristocrat Don Giovanni always gets the women he wants by wooing them with the promise of love & marriage. After he gets his way with his flavour of the week, he ditches her like spoilt milk and moves on to fresher meadows. In Là ci darem la mano, Don Giovanni decides his new conquest would be the peasant girl Zerlina. Never mind that she's a newlywed, Don Giovanni successfully wooed & convinced her to leave her husband. Là ci darem la mano is Mozart's most loveliest and famous opera composition. It did more than just woe Zerlina, it wooed all of Mozart's audience too, I'd imagine.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...