Sunday, 24 July 2011

Something wicked this way comes

       
     
Wicked was fantastic last night! Watching the production from the faraway distance of the first balcony, all I ever yearned for (at least since the first 20 mins of Act I) was to see what Elphaba (aka green girl) looked like up close. Was it odd at all that I wanted her to be remarkably pretty? It sounds deeply shallow, I know. But it was genuinely what I wished for. I wanted my protagonist to be pretty regardless of her skin tone. My demands seem a little excessive here, but it's perfectly understandable if you hang on a moment & consider my point. Elphaba had the loveliest voice out of everybody else; she was severely misunderstood; and I wanted her to stun me with outrageous physical beauty. Is that really too much to ask?


But at the end of the day, it didn't matter how she really looked like. In my mind, Elphaba is stunning. Her character was at the peak of unassuming brilliance. She was drenched in all the dramatic irony that the musical was scripted to have. And The Wicked Witch of the west was, in all her essence, good! Surprise, surprise. Don't you just love incongruity?

The script is so clever. The music is super duper incredible. The design on the set is phenomenal. To all ye people who go bonkers for this musical on youtube and the like, I understand your madness now. And I am making the conscious decision right now to partake in your fanatic Wicked raving in the form of enthusiastic persuasion to anyone thinking of watching it. So, off I go. Bye, bye now.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...